Genesis 12-20 Abraham
Genesis 21-26 Isaac
Genesis 27-36 Jacob
Genesis 37-50 Joseph
Abraham is mentioned 74 times in NT. He is venerated by all three
monotheistic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). He is called
“Father of the Faithful” (Heb 11:8) and “Friend of God” (Jas 2:23). [Over
six decades overlap with Noah?]
• Everlasting Covenant
• A struggle between the flesh and Spirit
– Abraham’s personal life;
– Ishmael vs Isaac;
– Sarah vs Hagar (Gal 4:21-31).
– King and Priest of the Most High.
• Akedah: Isaac offered (Gen 22).
Terah was an idolater (Josh 24:2). Terah’s youngest son Haran was born
and died in Ur (Gen 11:28), capital of Sumer. Gen 20:12: And yet indeed
she [Sarai] is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the
daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.
Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from
thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy
name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless
thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the
earth be blessed.
“…had said”… Abram didn’t leave “his kindred” and “his father’s
house”; he simply moved up river…
Unconditional Covenant: Genesis 15
A divinely ordered ritual: barath, “To cut a covenant.”
(Participants would divide a sacrifice, and together, in a figure “8,” would
repeat the terms of the covenant. Adam is in a “deep sleep.” Not a
participant. Here God does it alone.)
• Commitment of the Land to his descendants “from the river of Egypt
to the great river, the River Euphrates”;
• Afflicted in Egypt: 400 years (Acts 7:6); in Egypt 430 years (Ex
• But will return with great possession.
“West Bank?” Which river?! Satan then has four centuries to lay down
a “mine field:” The Nephilim (Rephaim) in the land! In Egypt: 430 years,
afflicted 400 years. Return in the fourth generation (Ex 6:16-26).
Basic Paradigm (Romans 8:30): Predestined. Called. Justified. Glorified.
Abram to Abraham: Genesis 17
• Changed his Name to Abraham.
• Confirmed His Covenant: “Father of Many Nations.”
• Instituted Circumcision as a sign.
• Also changed Sarai to Sarah.
• Promised him a son.
Sodom & Gomorrah: Genesis 19
• Two angels visit Lot.
• The homosexuals seek the visitors.
– Lot offers his virgin daughters instead.
– The angels blind the attackers.
• Lot’s family evacuated .
– As a prerequisite condition to judgment.
• Jesus likened His return to these days! (Luke 17:29).
Flesh vs. Spirit
• Abraham lived 430 years before the Law: Promises preceded the
Law: cannot be disannulled (Galatians 3:17).
• Ishmael vs Isaac
– Two sons of two principles: Flesh; Spirit.
– Ishmael: of the flesh, in unbelief.
• “The son of the bondwoman will not be heir…”
– Isaac: of promise, in response to faith.
• The Ultimate Triumph of Faith: the offering of Isaac (Gal 4:22-31)
more to come….